Sunday, May 24, 2009

Eradicating Invasives

Sometimes it's necessary to just focus on maintenance and not spend all spring buying new plants!

This is the year I eradicate invasives. It's a convenient year to focus on maintenance since I'm an unemployed student. I'll get to the Pachysandra and Akebia later, but I've started with the lovely variegated Chameleon plant (Houttuynia cordata). It seems it was just a small clump when we moved in seven years ago. I admired the heart-shaped leaves, ablaze in yellows, greens, and reds with a delicate white and noticeable flower atop. Just a lovely multi-colored ground cover. Now it's coming up everywhere, including in the lawn. The narrow bed areas just can't withstand it's growth habit so I am getting rid of it altogether.

Chameleon plant is impossible to dig up. It breaks easily just under the surface of the dirt and the tiny roots and runners are left. I began pulling it up and spraying it with Roundup as soon as it started to emerge in March. I pray one year will be enough to be rid of it forever. As sad as I am to see it go, I am already getting anxious for new plantings in that highly visible spot.

Y

No comments:

Post a Comment