Friday, June 19, 2009

Hedera Entangles

Morning has broken here on our wooded lot. I love nothing more than to sip coffee while I watch the constantly changing sunbeams cut through the trees. But the Ivy is blocking my view this morning.

My predecessor planted quantities of English Ivy (Hedera helix) on the floor of the natural space to help prevent erosion. Indeed we are the low spot of the neighborhood, but thirty years of growth is a lot of Ivy growth. As lovely as it may have looked to me at one time, I am in the process of trying to remove the Ivy from our trees.

In addition to reducing the biodiversity in the area and destroying the habitat for native wildlife and creatures, Ivy can kill trees by climbing into their canopies and shading out sunlight. It will also make them so top-heavy they become weak and eventually fall over. We must always try to take care and be responsible gardeners.

Y

No comments:

Post a Comment