Saturday, May 19, 2012

Eastern Box Turtle

Help me name my turtle!
As long as we have had Slender Deutzia in the garden, I have seen the box turtle resting here.  Of course, that is a coincidence; I do not believe turtles seek out this particular plant.

I know the Eastern Box Turtle can live longer than humans and that they have a home range, so I am convinced the turtle I see in this same spot in our yard every spring and summer is the same one that revisits year after year.  This turtle is slightly smaller than average, which makes me think she is female.

I do not know much about these critters.  She just appears in her little spot under the Deutzia after long rains beginning in April.  Though I know it is during the long mating season when she comes, I never see her come or go, and I do not know if she is nesting here.  I know she digs herself far up under the plant and leaves in the evening hours, but I have never seen more than one turtle at a time, and I have never seen eggs or wee turtles.  I can not say how long she stays, but I am committed to observing more closely.  

I do my best to leave her alone.  I do not want to scare her, pick her up, investigate, or otherwise do anything that would prevent her from returning whenever she likes.  I love my resident nature, and this gentle little turtle may have lived on this property far longer than I have.  Wouldn't you like to help me name her?

Y

1 comment: