Sunday, June 23, 2013

Flowers in Art Series - Soda Pop

Since the very first paintings over 700 years ago, flowers have had been present in art.  They began as decoration to portraiture, scenes, and other main subject matter.  They quickly evolved into accents that expressed symbolism.  The red rose symbolizes love, the white lily for purity, and so on.  Flowers then started to be shown on their own in still life's and vase arrangements as decorative artwork.  They were finally represented as living plants that deserve the spotlight around the time of french impressionism.  van Gogh's irises and sunflowers stand out from the post-impressionistic era, and O'Keefe's close-up moderist selections move us forward.

I have become fond of flowers in art where they take center stage.  I am not as particular about the form or style of the art, and I don't require symbolism, so it is all interesting to me.  I found this piece for sale on a wall in a sandwich shop in downtown Ellijay, Georgia while I was having lunch with a good friend.  It caught my eye because the blossoms are 3-D and are made from cut soda cans.  It is almost 3 feet tall, and is sprinkled with glitter.  A super fun and striking piece, and the sentimental value is always a plus!

Y

No comments:

Post a Comment