Friday, June 21, 2013

Jack-in-the-Pulpit

I have a mild obsession with the collectors greenhouse at Plant Delights Nursery, and the nurserymen warn that most of the selections are for 'advanced gardeners only'.  While I am an advanced gardener, I still kill plants, so I show caution and respect when making a purchase from this particular conservatory.  However, the absolute coolest and easiest plant to grow is the white-balled Arisaema sikokianum 'Silver Center'.  This plant does not bloom for long, and you need more than one (at a hefty price of $30 each) if you want more than one bloom.  I just purchased my second one this spring, so I am really hoping for several blooms next year.  This particular cobra blooms above the leaves, which makes it extra showy.  And the white ball in the center is a stunning contrast against the black pitcher.  The foliage stays tall and full all summer, and has a striking silver center for added interest after the blooms have long since slept.  A super hardy and showy winner!

Y

No comments:

Post a Comment