Saturday, June 22, 2013

How Every Iris Should Bloom

Let's face it, I am lazy when it comes to dividing irises.  My neglect combined with the voles feasting on the rhizomes, I am lucky to have more than one bloom on each variety of iris in the yard.  This tall, brick-toned bearded beauty, however, has somehow just decided to power through the obstacles and make a great show year after year.  I don't know her name, but she displayed over a dozen blooms for me this year.  Bravo!

And so, let me set a simple goal for this fall.  Divide the irises.  I have a particular two-toned plant that is sentimental, and she barely bloomed this year; Stephanie gave me a knockout white iris that has a purple beard.  It's not nice to neglect gift plants, and so I promise to do my duty.  Dividing them is easy, super easy, work.  Cut the foliage back to around 4 or so inches tall, dig up the whole clump, and just start working the rhizomes apart with your hands.  Replant, and watch for spring appreciation!   

Y

No comments:

Post a Comment