Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Phalaenopsis x's 4

Basic instructions for growing re-blooming Orchids in your home:


1) I have found Phalaenopsis to be, by far, the easiest repeat blooming orchids in my home. Buy one that has plenty of unopened buds to assure longest blooms season.

2) If you don't have a wide window sill over your kitchen sink, build a shelf for the window over your kitchen sink.

3) The indirect sunlight and moist air from kitchen sink activity creates a wonderful environment for Phalaenopsis orchids. No misting necessary.

4) Water once a week or so. Fertilize per orchid fertilizer label instructions. Prune back stalks only after they are brown. Prune dead or dying leaves as you notice them.

I have four orchids in bloom right now, and 2 that have buds on them. I have had great luck with orchids re-blooming for me for 3+ years. After that, they start to thin. They continue to bloom, but they thin over the years.  I have also had some luck with transplanting, but again, they always seem to remain thin after the 4th year whether transplanted or not. I know they like to dry between waterings, and I know they like some air on their roots, but I am not trying to dig too deep or discourage here today.  I have a friend that just built a greenhouse, so I intend to winter my orchids there in upcoming years in hopes of keeping my collection full happy plants longer, and I will report back.

Y

No comments:

Post a Comment